Monday, October 12, 2015

Muddy Circumstances

This is Day 12 of a 31 Day Challenge. To catch up on the previous posts, click here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dobseh/15561507840/in/photolist-pH7N8j-aPWQpg-4p7Sgy-aPWQTB-99TXNt-99TXxi-99X6ju-99TXan-5q2BQZ-5w8LCN-4p3Np8-4p3Ns4-4p3NnP-7m3USk-b66e7x-9WkjVv-aD2vmd-8eqg5y-6bRtWr-8jSxHK-x8oij-x8oie-x8oi8-x8oig-fkY7pX-7VZ27-5kZ2T4-9TjYia-qT1KRL-6N8nMk-79zdLh-byc358-9SgbfN-6pc2Vh-bADzwq-6bRuft-nLmVZZ-qsofA-aryZQW-6V8RAf-9LX3zz-p23gWE-xP44tg-7s7JTq-4XDRe8-4XJ6wC-4XJ6gj-4XJ5Ws-4XDR6R-ai3EuC
Photo Credit: Rob

One of my favorite cartoons is Avatar: The Last Airbender. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you check it out. The puns, my friends, the puns. But I digress.

The setting is a world in which some individuals manifest the elements of Earth, Wind, Fire and Water. These individuals often exhibit characteristics of that element and they often encounter conflict when introduced to opposing elements. If you were to ask me which element I would personify based on my personality, I would say without a doubt that I am Earth. Solid, reliable, but often also stubborn and gritty. My work environment is very "water" based, fluid and improvisational. Place an Earth persona in a Water environment and you are going to get mud.


I thrive on structure. Neat, clean lines that dictate my movements and frame my day. If there's a "To Do" list, even better. Just tell me what to do and I do it. Adjusting in the moment only becomes comfortable under certain restrictions: I know the script by heart; I have a full understanding of the resources; and finally, I have a personal relationship with all involved. How often do you think that happens?

My new line of work requires adjustment. It's a state of constant fluidity which is jarring to an Earth persona. What you may have originally planned for a lesson (my beloved structure) will have to be tailored to each child in the moment, and sometimes, multiple children at the same time all who are on different reading levels. Couple the fact that I'm still learning all the resources and lingo, and what do you get? Mud.

But, I'm finding it's a muddy environment I need. Pour enough water on earth and it becomes soft enough to mold.Something new is transformed from the old. The process isn't always delightful and it's certainly not always clean, but often it is soo needed.

What element would you say you most closely personify? Leave me a comment down below.

1 comment:

  1. What element am I? That's an interesting question. My initial thought would be fire because I relate to the uncertainty and fierceness associated with it. Where will it spread next? Can it be contained? Oh how it spreads to everything it touches. And I think that does describe me. But now this has me thinking of how others may perceive fire. If you don't approach it correctly, you may get burned. Such is the case of a dominant extrovert. A bystander may see it uncontrollably consume something that was once fine as it is. Why does fire need to meddle in other people's business? So while I still associate with fire, I think has helped me see how others may perceive fire and that I may need to work on keeping the fire to controllable flame as to not catch everything ablaze. Thanks for the questioning.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...