Saturday, October 17, 2015

Gracious Reads: Simply Tuesday

This is Days 15 & 16 of the 31 Day Challenge. To catch up on all the previous posts, click here.


Two nights ago, my husband and I chose to unplug the devices, power down and connect face to face. It took about an hour and a half to two hours to stop twitching a hand towards those darkened screens. The nagging thought of what I might miss or the drive for answers kept me reaching toward "out there" instead of focusing on the man in front of me. But once we stepped away from our "regular routine" of TV time or browsing the internet and started talking, the need to "log on" faded. When the night came to a close, a part of my heart ached; I didn't want it to end.  

How easily I become wrapped up in the world and don't take time to slow down, to connect. This world of ours drives us to multi-task, to juggle, to perform. What we end up with is a husk of exhaustion after we run ourselves ragged. Is this a life of thriving? Nay. It is perhaps one more of surviving and shallow existence.

When I become frantic with hurry, I usually seek solace in a book. This summer I reached for Emily Freeman's newest release, Simply Tuesday. I was lucky enough to receive an Advanced Reader Copy at a time when life was a whirlwind of change and activity. Her words were a soft embrace and a quiet whisper of reassurance about how the smallest moments are the most cherished. 

Simply Tuesday is a not a book to be read through quickly but one to read slowly and meditatively. I've a hankering to read it again this winter and take each chapter in as if sipping a hot cup of tea. I highly suggest picking up a copy if you are need in need of a reprieve from hustle. 

If you'd like to join a community reading Emily's book, (In)courage is hosting a book club on Simply Tuesday. It's easy to sing up and a lot of fun. Or, you can grab a couple of friends and meet up (without screens) and discuss together. Either way, a great way to reconnect with the small moments of life.

Want to know what inspired my "No Screen Thursday"? Read this article. It details how technology can sometimes hurt our communication. I'm still chewing on the words. Leave me a comment down below with your thoughts and reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...