Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Call to Rest

This is Day 14 of the 31 Day Challenge. Half way there! To catch up on the previous posts head over here.


Let's take a moment to be honest. This is day fourteen of the 31 Day Challenge and I'm tired. After day 10, I started coming up from the writing well with mere droplets. My words seem repetitious and my inspiration is lacking a thrust of motivation. I've tangoed with that seductress who says to just give up and quit. Thankfully, I'm stubborn but I'm tired and I wonder why.

God whispers, "Because you aren't resting."

Cue conviction.

Having a freer schedule since starting a new job, I feel like I should be as productive with that time as possible. This often translates to filling my nights and days off with activities. They're often good activities, like spending time with friends and keeping up with household chores. Work and play combined, but I'm so focused (again) on the doing, that I'm missing the grander theme of this grace period: rest.

I feel like a two year old child when I hear that word. I pout and stomp my foot. "I don't want to rest. I don't need to rest. You can't make me!" In a real situation, the child usually lays down and is asleep in a few  minutes. But like I said, I'm stubborn and, admittedly, a workaholic. I have to be doing something productive and if I'm not, I really don't do anything. All or nothing mentality.

But just as I'm learning that mistakes are acceptable and looser scheduling has it's merits, so I also see that right now is the time to slow down, to enjoy. Counter nature? Very. Deeply necessary? Absolutely.

Are you hearing the call to slow down, to enjoy the season you are in right now? Share with me in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same as you with this challenge! It seemed to pour out of me at first and now I'm wondering what the next 2 weeks will hold... Maybe that's best and we need to come to the end of ourselves before we can really start relying on God? Reminds of the loaves and fishes...And thank you for your encouragement today on my post!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...